Clearwater Personal Injury Attorney
Helping You Recover After an Accident
When you are injured in an accident, you may be left with several questions and concerns. How will you pay for your medical bills? What if you can’t work? How will you support your family?
At Gunn Law Group, our Clearwater personal injury lawyers understand the challenges you are facing, and we are here to help. We can investigate the accident, gather evidence, hold the at-fault party accountable for their negligence, and maximize your entitled compensation.
What is Personal Injury?
Personal injury law is a legal area that involves cases where individuals suffer harm or injury due to the negligence or intentional actions of others. The goal of personal injury law is to provide compensation to the injured party for the damages they have suffered.
Here are common types of personal injury cases:
- Car Accidents: Involving collisions between motor vehicles, which can result in injuries to drivers, passengers, and pedestrians.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Cases where motorcyclists are injured due to accidents, often involving other vehicles.
- Truck Accidents: Involving collisions with large trucks or commercial vehicles, often resulting in severe injuries due to the size and weight of the vehicles.
- Bicycle Accidents: Cases where cyclists are injured, often due to collisions with vehicles or hazardous road conditions.
- Pedestrian Accidents: Injuries sustained by individuals walking, jogging, or running, typically involving collisions with vehicles.
- Boating Accidents: Injuries that occur during recreational or commercial boating activities, including collisions and other accidents on the water.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Cases where individuals slip, trip, or fall due to hazardous conditions on someone else's property, leading to injuries.
- Premises Liability: Injuries that occur on someone else's property due to unsafe or negligent conditions, including slip and fall cases.
- Dog Bites: Cases involving injuries caused by a dog's bite or attack, often leading to legal action against the dog owner.
- Defective Products: Injuries resulting from the use of faulty or defective products, allowing for legal action against manufacturers or distributors.
- Medical Malpractice: Cases where healthcare professionals' negligence leads to harm or injury to patients during medical treatment.
- Nursing Home Abuse: Injuries or harm suffered by residents of nursing homes or assisted living facilities due to neglect or abuse.
- Catastrophic Injuries: Severe injuries that result in long-term or permanent disability, such as spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, or severe burns.
- Wrongful Death: Legal action taken on behalf of the survivors when someone dies due to the negligence or wrongful actions of another party.
What Types of Compensation Are Available in Personal Injury Cases?
After an accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. However, the types of compensation available in Clearwater injury cases will depend on the specific circumstances of your case.
In Florida, you may be entitled to the following types of compensation in a personal injury case:
- Economic damages – Economic damages are awarded to compensate the injured person for their financial losses. This may include medical bills, lost wages, and other out-of-pocket expenses.
- Non-economic damages – Non-economic damages are awarded to compensate the injured person for their non-financial losses. This may include pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive damages – Punitive damages are awarded to punish the defendant for especially egregious behavior. In Florida, punitive damages are only available in cases involving intentional misconduct or gross negligence.
After an accident, the insurance company may offer you a settlement. However, this settlement is almost always far less than what you are actually owed. Before you accept a settlement offer, you should speak to a personal injury lawyer. An attorney can review the settlement offer and help you determine whether it is fair.
How Can a Clearwater Personal Injury Lawyer Help?
After an accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. However, recovering this compensation can be challenging, especially if you are going up against a large insurance company. That is why you need an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side.
A Clearwater personal injury attorney can help you by:
- Investigating your case. To recover compensation, you will need to prove that the defendant was negligent. An attorney can investigate your case, gather evidence, and identify all potentially liable parties.
- Handling all communication with the insurance company. After an accident, the insurance company may try to contact you and get you to admit fault. An attorney can handle all communication with the insurance company and protect your rights.
- Calculating your damages. An attorney can help you calculate the full extent of your damages, including your future medical expenses and lost wages.
- Negotiating a fair settlement. Most personal injury cases are settled out of court. An attorney can negotiate with the insurance company and fight for a fair settlement on your behalf.
- Taking your case to trial. If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, your attorney can take your case to trial. At trial, your attorney will present evidence and argue your case to the jury.
At Gunn Law Group, we handle a wide range of personal injury cases. Our Clearwater personal injury attorneys have extensive experience, and we are prepared to fight for you, no matter how complex your case may be.